Eversince Amazon started forcing Automatic updates, the FireStick interface became laden with countless ads, banners, sponsored content, etc. Not to mention in-app ads during the movies, live TV, and more. This can get annoying. In this article, we go over multiple ways to block ads on FireStick. We’ll also cover how you can block ads on YouTube, Hulu & more.
All the methods mentioned in this article work on all Firestick variants.
It’s no secret that Amazon Fire TV devices are some of the best streaming devices on the market. They have a wide selection of content, they’re easy to use, and they’re affordable. The only downside is that they’re loaded with ads. And now the ads are more frequent after Amazon changed the FireStick interface.
Before that, you could install Custom Launcher like Wolf Launcher, which would get rid of all these ads and allow you more control over your FireStick interface. Now, Amazon has released FireStick update that blocks 3rd party custom launchers.
So, if you’re wondering: how do I block ads on FireStick? Well, you can do the most obvious thing and get an Ad-blocker app. However, there are other ways to block ads on Amazon Fire TV devices. You could tweak FireStick Settings and even change the DNS settings of your Wi-Fi network to disable ads on FireStick.
You can check all the methods provided below and choose the method that works for you.
How to Block Ads on FireStick & Fire TV Devices
In this section, we will learn the different methods to remove ads on FireStick. Some methods require the installation of additional apps on FireStick to block ads while some don’t require any installation. So, without any further ado, let’s check them out.
How to Block ads on FireStick with Ad-blockers
You can use Ad-blockers to block ads on Firestick. There are many ad-blockers available now on the web. Blokada, StopAd, AdGuard, etc. are few of them. I have covered the installation methods for all three of them below, you can install any of them on your device. However, if I had to pick one, I’d choose Blokada.
1. How to Turn Off Ads on FireStick with Blokada
Blokada is a brilliant ad blocker app used by users worldwide on their Android and iOS devices. It also blocks malware, pop-ups, and trackers.
Although this app’s service is free, you can upgrade to Blokada Plus. Blokada Plus integrates its ad-blocking service with its VPN service to encrypt your data and protect your privacy.
Let’s learn how to install and use Blokada on FireStick and remove ads from FireStick:
1. Install Downloader app
Since Blokada app is not available in Amazon App Store, you have to install it from its website. That’s why you need an app like Downloader app to install Blokada on FireStick. Let’s learn how to install Downloader app on FireStick:
If you want a detailed guide on Downloader app, you can read our article: How to sideload applications with Downloader on FireStick
1. Navigate to the Home screen of FireStick and select Find from the middle menu bar.
2. Hit Search button.
3. Type Downloader using on-screen keyboard and select the corresponding name in the suggestions below.
4. Hit Downloader.
5. Select Get/Download.
6. Let the app install. Then, click Open.
7. When asked to give access to media files, choose Allow.
8. Close the Quick Start Guide window by clicking OK.
2. Turn ON Install Unknown Apps
Since Blokada is a third-party app, we have to turn on installation from unknown sources on FireStick. This is because this feature on FireStick is disabled by default. Let’s learn how to do it:
1. Go back to the Home Screen of FireStick. Hit the Gear Icon from right corner.
2. Hit My Fire TV option.
3. Select Developer Options.
4. Hit Install unknown apps.
Note: In case, you see Apps from Unknown Sources option, click it instead and select Turn On. Skip the last step.
5. Select Downloader app and ensure it is turned ON. Otherwise, click its icon for turning it ON.
3. Install Blokada on FireStick
Finally, we will install Blokada on FireStick using Downloader app. Let’s learn the steps:
1. Press & hold the Home Button of FireStick Remote for approximately 5 seconds. Then, select Apps.
2. Hit the icon of Downloader to start it.
3. Click the URL section of Downloader.
4. Type the URL of Blokada as mentioned below:
This is the official website of Blokada
5. You will reach the official site of Blokada. Hit DOWNLOAD option.
6. Select the latest version of Blokada app and download it. The latest version available now is Blokada 5, however it isn’t meant for TVs. Therefore, I will install the Blokada 4 version on FireStick. Scroll down and click BLOKADA 4 .APK
7. The app will start downloading.
8. Once the download is completed, click INSTALL option.
9. Wait till the installation is complete.
10. Once installation is completed, select DONE.
11. Hit Delete to delete the app file and save device space.
12. Confirm by clicking Delete again.
Voila! Blokada is successfully installed on your FireStick device.
4. How to Use Blokada App on FireStick
As you have installed Blokada app successfully on FireStick, it’s time to start it and use it for blocking ads. Let’s learn how to do it:
1. Press & hold the Home Button of FireStick Remote for approximately 5 seconds. Then, select Apps.
2. Select the icon of Blokada to start it.
3. When the app opens, you will see that ad-blocking is still not activated.
4. Activate ad-blocking by hitting the Power icon.
5. For first-time users, you will see a connection request.
Permit the connection by clicking OK.
6. The Home screen of Blokada looks like this after ad-blocking activation. You will see a message on screen saying Blokada is active.
7. Start using other apps while Blokada is still running. It will keep blocking ads.
5. Customize Ad Settings on Blokada
It is not necessary to customize Ad settings on Blokada because it works fine normally for most of the people. However, if you want to unblock or block particular websites or domains that are not already done by Blokada, you have to alter the settings. Let’s learn how to do it:
1. Hit the Hamburger Menu (3 horizontal lines icon).
2. Select Ad blocking.
Note: If you don’t see this option, press the Back button and repeat the same steps.
3. Hit Host Log option.
4. You will now be able to see all the blocked & allowed requests.
5. Go back to the previous menu by clicking the Back Button .
6. Hit Allowed Hosts option by scrolling down for allowing specific websites and domains.
7. These websites will be unblocked. Add or remove websites in this section according to your preference.
8. Hit Blocked Hosts option to block particular domains and websites.
9. Add or remove websites in this section according to your preference.
2. How to Block ads on FireStick with StopAd
StopAd is a good ad-blocker app to restrict ads from popping up. Let’s learn how to install it on FireStick to block ads:
1. Install and start Downloader app on FireStick.
2. Select the URL section of Downloader app and type the following URL:
Instead of the URL, use the Downloader code for Stop Ad: 979805
3. Hit Start Download option.
4. It will start downloading
5. Select INSTALL option.
6. Let installation complete.
6. Hit DONE.
7. Select Delete for deleting the apk file.
8. Hit Delete again to confirm.
9. Launch StopAd app.
10. Hit Next.
11. Switch it ON.
Note: If you are having trouble navigating this app, you should consider installing Mouse Toggle app.
How to Block ads on FireStick with AdGuard
AdGuard is a brilliant application that can block ads, remove trackers, and lets you stay anonymous. This application is available on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices.
Although you get a free trial version of this app, you have to subscribe to its premium plan to access all its features. Let’s learn how to install it on FireStick to block ads:
1. Install Downloader on FireStick from Amazon App Store.
2. Start Downloader.
3. Click the URL section of Downloader and type the given URL:
This is the official website of AdGuard
Instead of the URL, use the Downloader code for AdGuard: 936401
4. Then, hit Download option to start downloading the app.
5. After the APK is downloaded, hit INSTALL option.
6. Wait till the installation is complete.
7. Select DONE.
8. Hit Delete & delete the app file.
9. Confirm by clicking Delete again.
10. Hurray! Now, launch the app and start using it.
How to Disable Ads on FireStick without Installing Any Apps Using AdGuard DNS
If you don’t want to install any additional application on Firestick to block ads, it’s also possible. You just have to change the DNS setting in FireStick.
Please note: Some users have pointed out that this method didn’t work for them, while it worked for others. You may try this method, if it doesn’t work for you, please use other methods provided in this guide.
Let’s learn the steps:
1. Click Settings from the main menu bar.
2. Select My Fire TV.
3. Go to About.
4. Scroll down to Network. Write down your IP Address and Gateway.
5. Press the Back button on your FireStick Remote twice. And, then select Network.
6. Click the WiFi you are connected to.
7. Press the Menu Button on your FireStick Remote to forget this network.
8. Then, press the SELECT button to confirm.
9. Now, go to See All Networks option and again find your network/wifi name.
10. Once found, click on the Wifi/ Network name and type your password. Select Advanced option.
11. Type your IP Address and hit Next.
12. Next, type your Gateway and hit Next.
13. When asked to enter Network Prefix length, type 24 and click Next.
14. Type 188.8.131.52 for DNS 1 and then select Next.
15. Type 184.108.40.206 for DNS 2 and then click CONNECT.
16. The WiFi will get connected in a few seconds. Now, you can open any apps on FireStick and enjoy ad-free streaming.
17. If by any chance, the Wifi/ Network does not get connected, choose to forget this network. And, then repeat the same steps.
How to Block Ads on Fire TV from Fire TV Settings
You can block ads on FireStick by adjusting preferences from FireStick system settings. Let’s learn how to do it:
1. Hit the Gear Icon (Settings) from right corner of FireStick Home screen.
2. Hit Preferences option.
3. Select Privacy Settings.
4. Switch off Device Usage Data, Interest-based ads, & Collect App Usage Data.
5. Press Back Button to go back to the previous menu.
6. Then, select Data Monitoring.
7. Hit Data Monitoring once again to switch off data monitoring.
8. Press Back button again to reach Preferences menu & choose Featured Content.
9. Switch off both Allow Audio Auto Play & Allow Video Autoplay options.
Use Ad-free Streaming Apps
There are many ad-free applications that you can install on FireStick. This way you don’t have to worry about seeing any irritating ads. For example, you can install Custom Launchers like Wolf Launcher, and FLauncher to block ads.
Similarly, you can use streaming applications like Flixoid, Syncler, FilmPlus, Ocean Streamz, etc. to stream ad-free content. You can also install Kodi on your FireStick and then install add-ons on it to stream content without any ads.
How to Block YouTube ads on FireStick
Can I block YouTube ads on FireStick? It’s a burning question often asked by users. Well, the answer is yes. There are a couple of ways to block YouTube ads on FireStick. You can install SmartTubeNext app on your FireStick. It’s an ad-free version of YouTube that’s available free of cost.
You can also subscribe to YouTube premium and get rid of ads, if you don’t mind paying for it.
Earlier, you could have also installed YouTube Vanced on your FireStick to get rid of ads. But YouTube Vanced has discontinued its services. So, this app will stop functioning soon.
Here’s a quick look at how to install SmartTubeNext on FireStick:
HERE is our guide on SmartTubeNext with detailed steps. Check it out.
1. Install Downloader app on your FireStick from Amazon App Store.
2. Enter the Downloader code for SmartTubeNext: 79040
And hit Go.
Alternatively, you can enter the URL: https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeNext
3. Download SmartTubeNext app by choosing Beta Version or Stable Version. Both of them work fine. I am installing the stable version here.
4. Wait for the file to download and then choose INSTALL
5. Wait for the process to finish
6. Choose DONE
7. Click Delete
8. Click Delete again
9. Launch SmartTubeNext app.
10. Hit the search button to find any content. Click any content to start playing immediately.
How to block Hulu ads on FireStick
The best way to block Hulu ads on FireStick is to subscribe to its Hulu (No Ads) plan. It currently costs $12.99 per month. There is another subscription plan, the Disney Plus Bundle plan that has Hulu (No Ads), Disney+, and ESPN Plus. You can subscribe to it for $19.99 per month.
You may also try using ad-blockers like Blokada, AdGuard, etc. while streaming content on Hulu to block ads. However, this option may not guarantee 100% ad-free content and may cause a streaming error. In case of streaming error, turn off the ad-blocker in use and restart the Hulu application.
I hope by following these methods, you were able to block ads on FireStick. Changing DNS and adjusting the preference settings on FireStick are the two options you have if you don’t want to install additional apps. Otherwise, you can install ad-blockers like Blokada to block ads on FireStick.
If you have any queries regarding this topic, mention them in the comment below.
Hi, I am Alyssa! I am a tech enthusiast and a blogger. I have been using Kodi and FireStick since 2016. I wanted to share my latest tech discoveries and knowledge with the World, which led me to start this blog in 2021. I post in-depth how-to guides for FireStick devices & Kodi in a way that is easy to understand for people of all ages. Thanks for stopping by!