In this post, we have discussed how to clear Kodi Cache with simple and easy-to-follow steps. The steps mentioned here will work on all Kodi versions including Kodi 19 Matrix, Kodi 18 Leia, etc.
These steps will also help you clear Cache on all Kodi-supported devices including FireStick, Fire TV Cube, Android Boxes, NVIDIA Shield, Mi Box, Windows, Mac, Linux, and others.
Kodi is a popular application used by streamers worldwide for streaming their favorite content. Whether you want to stream TV series, movies, Live TV, or anything else, Kodi has it all.
But like all other apps, Kodi also faces many problems. These problems include Buffering, streaming errors, app crashes & app slow down, just to name a few. The formation of cache in Kodi is usually the culprit behind these problems.
Kodi has many useful add-ons and each add-on accumulates its own cache that needs to be cleared out for Kodi to function smoothly.
If you are one of the users who is facing similar problems, we have made this post specifically for you. After reading this post, you will be able to clear Kodi Cache in a matter of seconds.
What is Cache?
Caches are temporary files or data in the form of text or images, stored in apps installed on your device. They are stored in order to increase processing speed and increase the life span of RAM. Hence, cache makes sure the next time you open an app, it will load faster. But whenever the size of cache increases due to its accumulation over a period of time, it can slow your device drastically.
Kodi is a slightly heavier app than other streaming apps since it consists of many add-ons and repositories. Thus, it forms higher cache build-up than other apps.
How Cache is Formed in Kodi?
Like any other app, Kodi also forms a substantial amount of cache over time. Cache is formed to decrease the loading time of apps. It can be stored in the form of temporary files – image, text, video, and application or add-ons data.
Though cache is supposed to make the apps perform more efficiently, it builds in a big sizeable amount after a certain period of time. The formation of cache for a long period actually does just the opposite and hence hampers the performance of the device.
FireStick, Fire TV, etc. are low spec devices with low storage space. The build-up of app cache in such devices further lowers the storage space.
Hence, it’s a good practice to clear Kodi cache regularly.
Why Do We Need to Clear Kodi Cache?
Cache build-up in Kodi is a common thing and is not something that is unheard of. On the contrary, it is formed in bigger amounts if your Kodi contains too many add-ons. Every add-on creates cache which combined together forms a bigger sizeable amount.
Accumulation of Kodi Cache for a longer period of time causes buffering problems, app crashes, streaming errors and Kodi app slow down. It will lead to Kodi ultimately showing erratic behavior and you may observe deterioration in app performance.
To counter these problems, we need to clear Kodi Cache from time to time. This will also speed up the Kodi app and improve its performance.
How to Clear Cache on Firestick
How to Clear Kodi Cache on FireStick/ Fire TV
If you are using a FireStick device, you can clear Kodi Cache using the following simple steps. Clearing cache in Kodi on Firestick along with other apps’ cache will ensure that you don’t run out of storage space.
Let’s check the steps:
1. From the FireStick main menu, select the Gear icon (Settings) located in the middle Menu panel
2. Hit Applications icon from the options provided.
3. Select the Manage Installed Applications option now.
4. All applications installed on your FireStick device will be visible here. Go on and click the Kodi application. You will also see the Cache build-up size of Kodi alongside the Kodi application option.
5. There will be two options available- Clear Cache and Clear Data. Click on the Clear Cache option to clear Kodi Cache.
Note: If you click on Clear Data instead, all your login credentials including that of Trakt, Real Debrid, Premiumize & others, add-ons data, etc. will be erased out from Kodi.
How to Clear Kodi Cache on Android TV Devices
(NVIDIA Shield/ Chromecast with Google TV/ Android TV Box/ Mi Box)
The steps discussed above to clear Kodi Cache on Firestick are almost similar for all Android TV devices. Since you will find slight changes to the steps mentioned before, for your convenience, we are providing the steps with screenshots below .
Please note that the below screenshots have been taken on an NVIDIA Shield. But these steps will work on Android TV box, MI Box, Google Chromecast, and other similar devices. Let’s check the steps:
1. Head to the Android TV device Home screen. Select the Settings option present on the right side of the top corner.
2. Now under Settings, select the Apps option.
3. Click See all apps
4. All the installed apps on your Android TV device will be listed here. Scroll down and click on the Kodi application.
5. Select the Clear Cache option to clear Kodi Cache.
6. Finally, hit OK to confirm
How to Clear Kodi Cache Within the Kodi Add-ons
In this section, we will learn how to clear cache on Kodi in any Kodi-supported device. The devices include PCs with Windows and Mac OS, and Android and iOS gadgets. You can install additional Add-ons like Indigo or EzzerMacs on Kodi to clear Kodi Cache. But this technique may not work on all the Kodi versions. That’s why we will discuss a technique that works perfectly on all Kodi versions.
Nearly every addon has a clear cache option within its tools or settings. So, the steps will be similar for all the addons installed on Kodi. To demonstrate the steps properly, we are going to take the example of the Crew Kodi add-on. Let’s check the steps:
1. Select the Add-ons option from the Kodi main screen.
2. Click on the Video Add-ons option to find the list of all video add-ons installed on Kodi.
3. Hit The Crew icon to open the Crew Kodi add-on on Kodi. ( or the addon that requires clearing cache)
4, From The Crew Kodi addon’s Home screen, click on Tools.
5. Now, select THE CREW: Clear Cache option to remove the cache from the Crew Kodi add-on.
6. You will see a prompt on screen, click Yes to confirm
Similarly, apply the same steps for all the other add-ons installed on your Kodi to clear Kodi Cache.
How to Clear Kodi Cache Using Kodi Wizards
You can clear Kodi Cache by installing various Kodi Wizards. I have included two examples here.
1. Clear Kodi Cache using Ezzerman’s 19 Wizard
Although you cannot directly clear cache from Kodi settings, you can clear Kodi cache using Kodi addons like Ezzerman’s 19 Wizard. Let’s learn how to clear Kodi cache with Ezzerman’s 19 Wizard:
1. Start Kodi app.
2. Turn on installation of addons from unknown sources. Here’s how you do it: Kodi Settings -> System -> Addons -> Unknown Sources -> Yes
3. Go to Kodi Settings -> File Manager -> Add source -> None
4. Enter the following URL:
5. Name the source (e.g. ezzermac) and hit OK.
6. Select OK again.
7. Go to the previous menu and select Add-ons.
8. Hit Install from Zip file.
9. Click source name (i.e. ezzermac)
10. Then, hit repository.EzzerMacsWizard.zip
11. Wait till you see a confirmation message of repo installation.
12. Hit Install from Repository.
13. Then, select EzzerMacs Wizard Repository -> Program Add-ons -> Ezzerman’s 19 Wizard -> Install
14. Wait till you see a confirmation message of Addon installation.
15. Once it is installed, click Add-ons from Kodi main screen. And then, hit Program Add-ons.
16. Hit the icon of Ezzerman’s 19 Wizard to open it.
17. Select Maintenance option from its main screen.
18. Hit Delete Cache.
2. Clear Kodi cache using OpenWizard
OpenWizard is another Kodi maintenance tool that is quite useful. You can use this Kodi addon to clear Kodi cache easily. Let’s learn how to clear Kodi cache with OpenWizard:
1. Start Kodi application.
2. Enable installation of addons from unknown sources. Here’s how to do it: Kodi Settings -> System -> Addons -> Unknown Sources -> Yes
3. Next, select Kodi Settings -> File Manager -> Add source -> None
4. Enter the following URL:
5. Name the source (e.g. openwizard) and select OK.
6. Hit OK again.
7. Go to the previous menu and hit Add-ons.
8. Then, hit Install from Zip file.
9. Click source name (i.e. openwizard)
10. Hit repository.openwizard-x.x.zip where x.x is the version number.
11. Wait till you see a confirmation message of OpenWizard repo installation.
12. Hit Install from Repository.
13. Then, select OpenWizard Repository -> Program Add-ons -> OpenWizard -> Install
14. Click OK
14. Wait till you see a confirmation message of OpenWizard Addon installation.
15. After it is installed, hit Add-ons from Kodi main screen. And then, select Program Add-ons.
16. Hit the icon of OpenWizard to open it.
17. Select (OpenWizard) Maintenance option.
18. Then, click (OpenWizard) Cleaning Tools.
19. Hit Clear Cache.
20. You will be notified once the addon has completed clearing cache.
How to Clear Kodi Cache Manually on Windows/ Mac/Linux
Clearing Kodi cache on Windows, Mac or Linux is rather simple. It may look slightly daunting to a layperson with no technical knowledge. But trust me, if you follow the steps given below exactly, you will have no trouble at all.
The path to that Kodi Cache folder is different for every platform. You need to enter the following path depending on the device you are using first.
Alternatively, here’s what you can do:
1. Go to the Search bar near the Start Menu or open Run
2. Type %APPDATA% and press <Enter>
3. Select Kodi folder
Once that particular folder opens, you will find several folders there including the addons that you have installed.
You will find a cache folder (see screenshot below). You may delete this folder it completely (Don’t worry, if needed, Kodi will automatically create cache again). Or, choose to delete some parts of the cache- it’s entirely your call.
That’s it! Hope all your Kodi Cache-related troubles including streaming and buffering problems will be solved. You will not find any difficulties now and can successfully clear Kodi Cache using the steps mentioned above.
Don’t forget to clear Kodi Cache periodically to make sure Kodi works efficiently without any hiccups. Also, uninstall any unnecessary Kodi add-ons if they are barely used to speed up the app performance.
If you are facing any other issues, do contact us so that we can help.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Kodi taking up so much space?
If you have too many addons installed on Kodi, it will take a lot of space. Besides, all these add-ons form cache. And the cache of these Kodi Add-ons combined together can take up a considerable amount of space.
Should you clear cache on Kodi?
Yes, it’s good practice to clear cache on Kodi from time to time. Doing so will ensure your Kodi runs smoothly. It will also clear out unnecessary files that may be weighing down your Kodi App.
How do I clear my entire cache?
It depends on the device that you are using. If you are using a mobile, you can clear entire cache at once. But if you are using a FireStick or an Android TV device, you will need to clear cache of every app separately.
Hi, I am Alyssa! I am a tech enthusiast and a blogger. I have been using Kodi and FireStick since 2016. I wanted to share my latest tech discoveries and knowledge with the World, which led me to start this blog in 2021. I post in-depth how-to guides for FireStick devices & Kodi in a way that is easy to understand for people of all ages. Thanks for stopping by!