FireStick keeps on showing “no signal” error messages? In this article, I will explain all the causes behind the FireStick no signal issue. I will also cover various methods to fix this issue.
The techniques provided here work on all types of Fire TV and FireStick devices.
When a FireStick displays a no-signal message, it can be frustrating. But if it’s not a TV or FireStick hardware issue, you should be able to fix it yourself without having to call up for external assistance.
In most cases, the reason behind a “No Signal” issue on FireStick can be traced to either the HDMI ports or the cables. So, what to do when FireStick says no signal?
To fix FireStick No Signal, you should disengage the FireStick and re-insert it into the HDMI port. If the problem was due to a loose connection, the signal should recuperate in a jiffy. You could also migrate your FireStick to an alternative HDMI port (most TVs have multiple HDMI ports) to see if the port is the issue.
Let’s dive right into the causes behind this no signal issue and their solutions in detail.
Why is My FireStick Saying No Signal?
FireStick no signal issue can be caused due to various reasons. Let us discuss all the probable reasons below in detail:
1. Loose Connection
You’re most likely to face no signal issue if the FireStick isn’t inserted properly into the HDMI port. If you find that the FireStick is not fitting tightly or slipping out, there might be slight damage to the HDMI port.
2. Defective HDMI cable
If you have a defective HDMI cable, you will face this same problem.
3. Incorrect Input Source
If you choose the incorrect HDMI port as the input source, you will see this no signal error message. It’s easy to make this mistake when the TV has multiple HDMI ports.
4. Hardware issue in FireStick
If your FireStick has hardware issues, it will not work properly. This can lead to no signal issue on FireStick. You will need to replace the FireStick or get it repaired to fix the problem.
5. Outdated FireStick OS
If your FireStick software is outdated, you may face this issue.
6. FireStick Overheating
Overheating of FireStick can result in No signal problem. This can happen when you are using FireStick for a prolonged period.
7. Network Problem
If your FireStick is not receiving proper internet connection to transmit data, you could face no signal issue. It can be due to a weak internet connection or a faulty router.
8. HDCP issue on FireStick
HDCP is a digital content piracy restriction tool. HDCP issue occurs when there is a connection issue or communication between TV and FireStick. Also, if you are using an Old TV model, you may face this issue. Compatible Smart TVs generally don’t face this problem.
How to Fix FireStick No Signal Issue
Follow these simple troubleshooting steps in this guide to deal with the FireStick no signal issue:
1. Perform a Physical Inspection of Amazon FireStick
Before you try out any other solutions mentioned below, simply take a quick look at your FireStick. If you find any physical damage, it is likely causing FireStick no signal error.
FireStick can get damaged due to rough usage or wear & tear over time. In such a case, you may need to replace it with a new one.
2. Configure HDMI Ports & HDMI Cables Properly
FireStick must be connected to the HDMI port firmly. In case the connection is loose, you will face FireStick no signal problem.
If the no signal issue continues even after you’ve re-inserted the FireStick into the HDMI port, you’ll need try the other HDMI ports one by one for troubleshooting. It’s a simple process of elimination.
Make sure the FireStick is fitting snugly into the HDMI port and not slipping out. If FireStick isn’t getting inserted properly, the HDMI ports you are using may be slightly damaged.
If you’re using an HDMI extender, make sure it is inserted properly into the TV and the FireStick. Check the cable for any physical damage as well. If you find that the cables worn out, replace them with a new original one.
If the port of cable end seem dirty, clean them remove any dust.
3. Ensure Correct Input Source is Selected
To connect the FireStick to the TV, you are required to select Input Source. Input source simply corresponds to the port number in which you’ve inserted the FireStick device.
The no signal issue could be causing because you have selected the incorrect input source on your TV. This is very easy to rectify.
1. On your TV remote (NOT the FireStick remote), press the Source or Input button.
2. Select HDMI port number, in which you’ve inserted the FireStick. Now, if you do not know which one, you could simply select the ports one by one to check which one gets connected to the FireStick.
OR, you could check the name of the HDMI port on the TV. The Ports are numbered and the number will be mentioned next the ports present on the TV.
4. Restart FireStick
If the reason for FireStick no signal problem is due to software issues or certain glitches, it can be fixed by restarting the FireStick device.
Here’s how to restart FireStick:
To learn how to restart FireStick with or without Remote, check our guide: How to Restart FireStick.
1. Firstly, switch off your FireStick.
2. Unplug it from HDMI port.
3. Then, unplug FireStick device from the power outlet
4. Wait for 5 minutes.
5. Plug in the FireStick back to the power outlet.
6. Reconnect it to the HDMI port.
7. It will restart in a minute or two.
5. Try Changing the Screen Resolution
Incorrect screen resolution can cause FireStick no signal problem due to display disturbance. So, I recommend changing the screen resolution to Auto. Automatic settings will ensure that your screen resolution changes according to your internet speed and TV specifications. Here’s how to change resolution in FireStick:
1. Hold down the Rewind button and the Up button in the navigational ring on the FireStick Remote for 10 seconds.
2. You will find screen resolution options now.
3. Change it according to your preference or hit Use Current resolution option.
6. Try Rebooting your WiFi Router
If you find that the issue is not due to HDMI connection, you should reboot the router. FireStick No Signal problem can be fixed by doing this. Here’s how to do it:
1. Disconnect your WiFi Router from the power outlet.
2. After a couple of minutes, connect the router back to the power outlet to reboot it.
7. Check the Internet Connection Status
Make sure that you have a strong internet connection. It is easy to test the signal strength of your Wi-Fi. Here’s how:
1. Hit Gear Icon ⚙️ (Settings) after going to the FireStick main screen.
2. Choose Network
3. Find the network that is connected to your FireStick. Press Play/Pause button on your FireStick remote for checking the Network status of your WiFi.
Note: If no Wifi is connected to your FireStick, select a preferred network and connect to it by entering the correct password.
4. Check whether the network status says weak, moderate/good, or strong/Very Good.
If the Wifi strength is poor, here are a few things you could do:
1. Remove any data limit you have set on your internet plan.
2. Make sure your internet plan is valid and you haven’t exhausted your data if you don’t have an unlimited plan.
3. Get in touch with your ISP and ensure everything is okay from their end.
8. Disconnect Other Devices Using Your WiFi
Bandwidth Hogging can also result in a FireStick No Signal issue. If multiple devices are using your WiFi’s data, there are high chances that your FireStick is not getting enough bandwidth to work properly.
Disconnect all the other devices that are using your WiFi to check if that fixes the no signal issue.
9. Troubleshoot your WiFi Router
If your Wifi Router is not transmitting data properly, it will cause Firestick no signal problem. In that case, you have to troubleshoot router to fix the problem. Here’s how:
Make sure you have not placed the FireStick too far from the router. Although the maximum allowable distance between them is 25 ft, I suggest keeping them close as possible. Also, ensure there are no restrictions between them blocking network bandwidth.
You can also try placing the router at a higher location and check if it helps.
If you are in possession of a router supporting Dual-band, try interchanging the channels. For instance, if more devices are using 2.4 GHz, connect FireStick to 5 GHz instead.
Buy a New WiFi Router if the WiFi router you are currently using stopped working or got damaged.
10. Use an Ethernet Adapter instead of WiFi
We can understand if you can’t place FireStick near Wifi router for some reason. Also, you may not be able remove certain restrictions (e.g. walls, doors, etc.) blocking the network bandwidth.
You can tackle this problem by using an ethernet adapter instead of WiFi. Also, you get faster internet speed with an ethernet adapter as compared to WiFi.
11. Use Original Accessories (Adapter & HDMI Cables)
Always use original HDMI cables and adapters. The reason I recommend using original HDMI cables & adapters is that they supply the specified power required by FireStick to run smoothly.
If you use duplicate accessories to connect FireStick to the power source and your TV, it might show FireStick no signal problem. Even if the accessories that came with your FireStick got damaged, buy accessories from Amazon.
12. Update FireStick version
Outdated FireStick software can also result in no signal problem. So, make sure you update your FireStick OS. Here’s how to do it:
1. Click the Gear Icon ⚙️ (Settings) after you reach the FireStick main screen.
2. Hit My Fire TV.
3. Select About.
4. Choose Check for Updates.
5. If there are updates available, hit Install Updates and install the updates. Otherwise, you don’t have to do anything.
13. Buy a HDCP Compliant TV
FireStick works with TVs that support HDCP. HDCP is a tool that restricts piracy of digital content. Make sure that your TV supports HDCP.
You can confirm by checking the specifications of your TV. If it doesn’t support it, you have to buy a compatible TV for Your FireStick to work.
14. Consider Resetting FireStick
Some Software issues are too stubborn to go away with normal troubleshooting methods. These glitches either due to bugs or malware may likely cause FireStick no signal issue.
The only way to remove them to fix the problem is by resetting the FireStick. However, keep in mind that it will erase all your personal data. So, back up your data before proceeding with resetting. Here’s how to rest FireStick:
Read our guide on How to reset FireStick for a detailed tutorial.
1. Select Gear Icon ⚙️ (Settings) after navigating to the FireStick main screen.
2. Hit My Fire TV tile.
3. Choose Reset to Factory Defaults.
4. Confirm by clicking Reset.
15. Get your FireStick Repaired
If there are any hardware problems in your FireStick, resetting it will not solve FireStick no signal problem. In that case, the best option is to get it repaired from Authorized Service Center.
16. Replace your current FireStick with a New One
You can avoid the hassle of repairing your existing FireStick when it has hardware issues. You can do that by simply buying a new one. Moreover, if your existing FireStick can’t be repaired, you have to buy a new one.
I hope this guide has helped you solve FireStick no signal issue. In most cases, you should be able to fix the problem easily. If the HDMI ports on the TV or the FireStick itself is damaged, you’d need to get help from a technician or replace them.
If you have any further queries, leave us a note in the comment box below.
Hi, I am Alyssa! I am a tech enthusiast and a blogger. I have been using Kodi and FireStick since 2016. I wanted to share my latest tech discoveries and knowledge with the World, which led me to start this blog in 2021. I post in-depth how-to guides for FireStick devices & Kodi in a way that is easy to understand for people of all ages. Thanks for stopping by!