Today, we will learn how to install Plex on FireStick. These installation instructions are the same for all other Fire TV and Android devices.
|Supported Devices||Amazon FireStick, Android TV, Android Mobiles, Tablets, Chromecast with Google TV, Nvidia Shield, Roku, Mi TV Stick, TiVo Stream 4K|
|Type of App||All-in-One ( Also acts as a Media Server)|
|Content||Movies, TV shows, Live TV, Documentary, Music|
|External Video Player Support|
Plex serves as a streaming app and also a Media Server. Not only you can stream content online, but you can play your media content stored in your local hard drive remotely from anywhere on any android device. You just need an active internet connection on both your devices (the device in which your local files are and the device in which you want to stream your files) to access the files.
There is a lot of online content on Plex APK ranging from TV series, movies, Live TV, Documentary, music, and more. There’s also an option for Plex Pass subscription to enjoy exclusive benefits including discounts and deals, VIP experiences, etc.
💡Note: If Plex is not available in your country, you can still install it following our guide on How to install and use Amazon Fire TV Apps Outside their Intended Country.
All these features make Plex a great tool for your FireStick device. We have also added Plex in our Best FireStick Apps list.
How to install Plex on FireStick
Plex is available in Amazon App store and can be installed easily. Here are the steps to install Plex APK on your FireStick :
1. Head to the home screen of your FireStick, and go to Find option
2. Now, select the Search icon below
3. Type in Plex and select Plex from the suggestions underneath.
4. Click the Plex app
5. Select Get/Download.
6. Wait for the app to be installed.
7. If you wish to launch the app now, you may do so by clicking Open.
How to Sign Up for Plex Account
We need to sign up for a Plex account to access on FireStick and other devices. Here’s how we will do it:
1. Visit https://www.plex.tv from any browser of your FireStick or any other Device
2. Go to the right of the topmost corner and click Sign Up
3. Provide necessary details for new account creation or use your existing Google, Apple, or Facebook account details to sign up.
Your Plex account is successfully created. You can opt for Plex Pass membership for added premium benefits. We will talk more about it later in the guide.
If you don’t want a Plex Pass, click NOT NOW
How to Use Plex on FireStick
To open Plex on your FireStick, hold down the FireStick Remote’s Home Button for a few seconds. Then, go to Apps
Find the Plex icon and click on it to open it
The main screen of Plex APK on FireStick looks like this:
Overview of Plex APK
When you open the Plex app, you will see a list of movies & shows and web shows on the homepage. The main menu bar on the left side has different sections- Search, Home, Live TV, Movies & Shows, Web Shows, Podcasts, Music, Your Media, and Settings.
Right on the top of the main menu bar, you will see an option to Sign In if you haven’t already signed in. We will take you through the Sign In process shortly.
The Settings will allow you to manage general settings.
You can reset all customizations and activate Plex Pass from Vertical ellipsis menu (three-dots) on the top right side of the home page.
How to Sign-In to Your Plex Account
Here’s how we can sign in to our Plex account on FireStick:
1. Click Sign In on the extreme left top corner of the Plex home-screen.
2. Click SIGN IN again. There is an option to SIGN IN WITH AMAZON as well
3. A code will appear on FireStick screen
4. Go to http://www.plex.tv/link from any browser.
5. Type the code. Click on Link.
6. If you are not signed in already, you must sign-in to your Plex account from the browser to successfully link your account.
7. A message will be displayed on your browser notifying you of account being linked.
How to Set Up Plex Server
If you want to access your local media files remotely from any device including FireStick, Fire TV, or any smartphone using Plex app, you need to set up Plex Server.
The Plex Server can only be set using a laptop or a computer operating on Mac, Windows, and Linux. Additionally, you can set it up in NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices.
❗ Important Note: You need an active Internet connection on both your devices (the device in which your local files are and the device on which you want to stream your files) to access the files.
This is how you can set up Plex Server:
1. Open a browser on your PC and go to https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/
2. Select your PC operating system after clicking the Plex Media Server dropdown menu. I am choosing Windows here.
3. After choosing the platform, click on Download button on the right side
4. Wait for Plex Media Server application to be downloaded.
5. Run the .exe file you just downloaded and click Install to complete Plex server installation on your PC.
6. Let the installation complete.
7. Once completed, open it by clicking Launch.
8. Next, a webpage will open in your computer’s default browser. Sign in to your Plex account.
9. A quick guide will start. Click GOT IT to continue.
10. Click X button to close Plex Pass subscription prompt window.
11. Name the server as per your liking and click Next
Note: Check Allow me to access my media outside my home option to access your local media content from anywhere from your device and not only inside your house.
12. If you want to add a media library, click on Add Library to upload your media files on Plex server.
13. Now, proceed by clicking on Next
14. Lastly, complete the Plex server setup by clicking Done
Benefits of Plex Pass Subscription
If you opt for a Plex Pass subscription, all the playback restrictions will be removed and you will be able to enjoy your content without any restrictions. Some of the benefits you can enjoy with Plex Pass subscription are parental controls option, get extras and trailers for your Shows and movies, sync content on your devices for offline viewing, max upload bandwidth and per-stream caps control for better streaming experience, watch and record live broadcast TV, Skip intros to save time, 4K video support, Tidal Subscription Discount, Advanced Music (Player) Features like visualizers, Sweet Fades, and Loudness Leveling and many more.
Currently, Plex Pass consists of three Subscription Plans: $4.99 for a monthly subscription, $39.99 for an annual subscription, and $119.99 for a lifetime subscription.
Plex is a stupendous app for online streaming as well as for media server access. Now, access your local media files from anywhere you want using Plex Server. Watch unlimited TV shows, movies, Web shows, podcasts, music, and many more online from your device using Plex APK. Just give it a try!
Hopefully, this tutorial helped you install Plex APK on FireStick. If you are still facing any issues, comment below to let us know.
Hi, I am Alyssa! I am a tech enthusiast and a blogger. I have been using Kodi and FireStick since 2016. I wanted to share my latest tech discoveries and knowledge with the World, which led me to start this blog in 2021. I post in-depth how-to guides for FireStick devices & Kodi in a way that is easy to understand for people of all ages. Thanks for stopping by!