Today, I will help you to set up Amazon FireStick. The steps are pretty much the same for all the other Fire TV products.
FireStick is an HDMI plug-in stick device used with a Smart TV for streaming online as well as local video and audio content effortlessly. This device lets users find better content from millions of options available online. Hence, many of us prefer using FireStick over traditional cable or other DTH set-top boxes.
Do you also have a FireStick in your home? Are you confused or still trying to figure out how to set up your FireStick for the first time?
If the answer is Yes, worry not! We will guide you step-by-step and help you set up your FireStick. Setting up an Amazon FireStick is not difficult at all. You only need a Smart TV with HDMI port and an internet connection.
Note: You will need to set up your FireStick on two occasions. One is when you bought it for the first time and the other is when you reset it. In both cases, the steps involved are the same.
Where can you Buy Amazon FireStick?
If you haven’t bought the FireStick yet and are looking to buy one, you can buy an Amazon Fire TV Stick from the below stores:
In the USA:
- Best buy
In the UK:
FireStick/Fire TV Cube/FireStick Lite setup prerequisites
Here is a list of all the things you need other than the things already provided along with your FireStick device:
- A fast Internet Connection.
- A Smart TV compatible with FireStick. (It should have an HDMI port)
- Two AAA batteries to insert in FireStick remote.
- An active Amazon account
( This will be required to register your FireStick device with your account. Ordering FireStick from your Amazon account will ensure you don’t have to register it as it will come pre-registered with your account. This will save your time. However, you can link it with another Amazon account whenever you want even if it comes pre-registered.)
How to Set Up FireStick, Fire TV Cube, FireStick Lite
Follow the complete step-by-step procedure to set up your Amazon FireStick:
✅ Starting up:
Here are the steps to begin with:
1. Take the USB cable provided with your FireStick and insert one end into the FireStick and the other end to a power adaptor.
2. Insert the other end of the power adaptor into a power source.
3. The next step involves connecting the FireStick to the HDMI port of your Smart TV either directly or by using an HDMI Extender.
4. Switch on your TV and select the correct HDMI port Channel in which you inserted the FireStick. For example, if you connected your FireStick to HDMI Port 2 of your Smart TV, then select HDMI Port 2.
5. Now, take your FireStick remote and place two AAA batteries in its battery compartment properly. Check the +ve end and -ve end of the batteries and place them as the sign displayed inside the battery compartment suggests.
6. Your FireStick remote comes paired with your FireStick. But in case, it is not paired, hold the Home Button of the remote for 15 seconds. It will pair your FireStick remote with the FireStick device.
7. Continue the set up process by pressing the Play/ Pause button of your remote.
8. Select the language of your choice and press OK.
✅ Provide a Good Internet Connection:
1. Your FireStick will show you a WiFi connections list by scanning all the available Wi-Fi. Select the Wi-Fi you want to connect to.
2. Then, enter the correct password if it’s password protected.
3. Wait for the Wi-fi connection to establish
Note: If there are any new Operating System updates, your FireStick will automatically download and install it. Wait for the installation process if there are updates.
✅ Registering your Amazon account:
In case you ordered your FireStick from your Amazon account, it will come pre-registered with your account. This means you can skip this step. But if not, you have to register it.
( Note: You can also deregister your FireStick device from your Amazon account and choose another account whenever you want)
Let’s learn how to do it:
1. You will see two options: I already have an Amazon account and I am new to Amazon.
If you already have an Amazon account, click I already have an Amazon account. Enter the correct credentials to register successfully.
If you don’t have an Amazon account, you can click I am new to Amazon. And enter all the details required to complete this step including your credit card info. However, we recommend registering on another device like your Computer or mobile first.
This way, you won’t need to enter your credit card info. Visit www.amazon.com (or the Amazon website in your country) from a mobile or PC. Click Sign in once Amazon Homepage opens. Now select Create an account.
Enter name, email ID or phone number, and password and click Continue.
2. Once you have an account, click I already have an account on your FireStick enabled TV screen
3. You will see a code on the FireStick Screen.
Now, if you wish to sign in to your Amazon Account on your Fire Stick, you may press the Menu Button on the Remote and enter your credentials instead
4. Visit amazon.com/code
5. If you are not signed in to your Amazon account, you will need to enter the login details and sign in.
6. Then, enter the code displayed on your FireStick screen and click Continue
7. Now, confirm this is the correct account by clicking Continue
8. Wait until your FireStick device is registered with your Amazon account.
✅ Wrapping up the Set up Procedure:
1. After successful registration, you will be prompted to save the password of WiFi network you are currently using. Select Yes if you want to save it, otherwise No.
2. In case you reset your FireStick, you may choose to restore your FireStick device to its previous settings by clicking the Restore button. If not, click Skip
3. Select Enable Parental Controls and set a Pin for enabling parental controls. Otherwise, select No Parental Controls.
4. The last step involves selecting either Get Started and install apps of your choice by choosing them or No Thanks to skip installing.
✅ Pairing your remote with your Smart TV (Additional step):
If your remote has Volume buttons, you need to do this step before you proceed to the last step mentioned above. If your Remote doesn’t have volume control buttons, you may skip this step.
Follow the steps:
1. You will see a display message like this saying: We’ll be playing music during the next step. Please make sure the volume is turned up, then Continue. Move to the next step it by clicking Next.
2. As mentioned in the above display message, turn up the volume using Volume Up button.
Pointing the remote towards your Smart TV, you have to toggle the Volume Down and Up buttons.
3. If the volume changed as expected, you will hear a sound. Select Yes, if you heard the sound. Otherwise, select No for repeating the step again.
4. On completion of syncing, you will see a display message like this.
Your Fire TV remote is now successfully set up.
5. You may see a prompt asking you to subscribe Amazon Prime if you don’t have one. Select either Start your 30 Day Free Trial or Not Now.
6. Now, finally, complete the last step as mentioned above by selecting either Get Started or No Thanks.
7. If you see a display window with the heading Introducing the All-New Fire TV Experience, click Got It to skip it.
Ta-Da! Your FireStick Set Up is complete.
How to Start Using Your Fire Stick After You’ve Set up Amazon Fire TV Stick
You should know some important things before you can enjoy the benefits of your FireStick device. These are:
1. Installing New Apps on Firestick
FireStick is no good without apps. You can install thousands of wonderful apps on your FireStick- be it media streaming apps, browsing apps, or gaming apps. It supports almost all the android apps that your smartphone supports as it is based on a modded android version. You can either install apps from the official Amazon App store or a third party source. For instance, you can install Netflix, Hotstar, Hulu, or Amazon Prime from Amazon Store to enjoy their premium content.
Check out our Best Apps for Fire Stick list and install them on your device.
2. Jailbreaking FireStick
Jailbreaking FireStick means enabling installation of apps from third party sources. There are many brilliant apps like Cinema HD, FilmPlus, etc. which are not available on Amazon store. Hence to enjoy their services, you need to install them from third party sources. FireStick normally doesn’t allow installation of apps from sources other than Amazon app store due to security reasons. But if you are installing apps from a trusted source, you don’t need to worry. Therefore, you need to enable third party apps installation from Settings of FireStick.
For a deeper dive, read our guide on How to Jailbreak your FireStick.
3. Use VPN to protect your privacy
Using a VPN while using apps on Firestick is a good practice. It ensures your privacy and protects you from online threats. VPN also lets you stream content that is otherwise restricted in your location. It also reduces internet throttling by ISPs ( Internet Service Providers). VPN hides your actual location by encrypting your web traffic using different server locations.
To learn more about the VPNs, read our guide on Best Amazon FireStick VPNs.
Summing Up- How to Set up FireStick
Well, you have reached the endpoint of this tutorial. I am hoping that you have successfully set up your Fire TV Stick device by now. Now, you can relish all the wonderful features of your FireStick and watch amazing contents effortlessly by installing apps of your preference.
If you find any other difficulties in setting up your FireStick, feel free to get in touch with us.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I connect my fire stick to my TV?
You can directly connect your FireStick to the HDMI port of your TV. You can also use an HDMI Extender and connect its ends to your TV and FireStick.
Do you need an Amazon account to use fire stick?
Yes, you will need an Amazon account to use fire stick.
Do you need internet for firestick?
Yes, you need a good internet connection to use FireStick.
How much is an Amazon account for firestick?
You don’t need any money to open Amazon account for FireStick. However, if you subscribe to any subscription service, it will cost you money.
Hi, I am Alyssa! I am a tech enthusiast and a blogger. I have been using Kodi and FireStick since 2016. I wanted to share my latest tech discoveries and knowledge with the World, which led me to start this blog in 2021. I post in-depth how-to guides for FireStick devices & Kodi in a way that is easy to understand for people of all ages. Thanks for stopping by!