Most of us can’t do without Subtitles while streaming. If you can’t either and want Subtitles on Kodi, today, I will demonstrate the step-by-step process to enable Subtitles on Kodi.
This process is the same for all Kodi-supported devices including FireSticks, Android devices, iOS and Windows products, etc.
People nowadays prefer to watch movies & TV shows with subtitles. The reason for such preference varies from person to person. Some might enable subtitles when they are watching foreign movies or shows.
Even if they know the language, they might face difficulty in understanding the accent of the actor. This is where subtitles come into play.
Subtitles become necessary when you are watching any content in a low audio volume or with poor audio quality. Some people believe subtitles help them understand the content plots better. There can be lots of other reasons why people prefer subtitles.
If you are a Kodi user, and you want to get subtitles on Kodi, this article is for you. We will explain the step-by-step process of how to enable Subtitles on Kodi.
The official Kodi repository itself has so many subtitles plugins like Shooter, Super Subtitles, Legendas, etc. That’s why you don’t need to install subtitle plugins from third-party sources as there are already enough options available.
You have to install subtitle plugins from the official Kodi repository to get subtitles on Kodi 19 Matrix. In this post, we will talk about two popular Kodi Subtitle add-ons, OpenSubtitles & Subscene. If you want, you can employ similar methods to enable subtitles on Kodi with your preferred Kodi subtitle Add-on.
Some Kodi Addons like Shadows Add-on offer subtitle support. In such cases, you just have to enable it from Add-on settings.
How to Enable Subtitles on Kodi from Kodi Addon Settings
Nowadays, many Kodi Add-ons offer subtitles support. In that case, you have to enable Subtitles on Kodi from Kodi Add-ons settings. To illustrate it better, we will show you the example of Shadow Kodi add-on.
The steps remain almost the same for almost every Kodi Addons that support subtitles integration. Follow these steps:
1. Open Shadow Add-on on Kodi.
2. Then, hit Settings from Shadow main screen.
3. From the left side panel, choose Subtitles. And then, from right side panel, click Enable Subtitles option.
4. Click Primary Language and select your preferred subtitle language. Finally, click OK to save changes.
How to Enable Subtitles on Kodi with OpenSubtitles
The most popular Kodi subtitle plugin used by Kodi users around the world is OpenSubtitles. It’s because it can fetch subtitles of various languages for almost any movie, show, and Documentaries.
OpenSubtitles is present in the official Kodi repository and hence easy to install and set up. Just follow the instructions below to install and set it up:
1. To enable subtitles on Kodi with OpenSubtitles, you have to create an account from https://www.opensubtitles.org
After you reach the site, select Register icon. Enter the required credentials to create an account.
2. Open Kodi.
3. Select Gear Icon (Settings) from Kodi Main screen.
4. Hit Add-ons icon.
5. Open Install from Repository
6. Choose Kodi Add-on repository.
Note: Skip this step if you haven’t installed any third-party Add-ons yet.
7. Then, scroll down and select Subtitles.
8. Choose OpenSubtitles.org from the available list.
9. Hit Install icon.
10. Wait and let the add-on install.
11. You will receive a notification once OpenSubtitles add-on is installed.
12. Again, hit OpenSubtitles.org to configure its settings.
13. Select Configure icon.
14. Enter the login credentials of your OpenSubtitles account. Select OK.
15. Head to Kodi Main screen and select Gear Icon (Settings).
16. Choose Player icon.
17. Hit Language from left-side panel. And from right-side panel, click on Preferred subtitle language under Subtitles section and choose your preferred language.
18. Now, from Download Services section, hit Default TV show service file.
19. Choose OpenSubtitles.org
20. Again, from Download Services section, hit Default movie service file.
21. Choose OpenSubtitles.org
22. Ensure that OpenSubtitles.org is displayed in both cases instead of None.
As OpenSubtitles Add-on is configured now, you can easily enable subtitles on Kodi. Simply, open any add-on and click your preferred content and then select the Subtitles icon in the right bottom corner.
How to Get Subtitles on Kodi with Subscene Subtitle
We will talk about another Kodi subtitles plugin, Subscene Subtitles, that you can try instead of OpenSubtitles. It doesn’t require any prior registration for using its services, unlike OpenSubtitles.
But it has comparatively fewer subtitles options than its competitor. Follow these steps to enable subtitles on Kodi with Subscene Subtitle:
1. Head to Kodi Main screen and select Gear Icon (Settings).
2. Choose Player.
3. Then, hit Language from left side panel. From right side panel, hit Default TV show service file.
4. Select Get more…
5. Scroll down and choose Subscene Subtitles.
6. Wait for Kodi to completely install Subscene Subtitles and its Add-on dependencies.
7. After that, hit Default movie service file.
8. Choose Subscene Subtitles.
9. Finally, ensure that Subscene Subtitles option is displayed in both cases.
The viewing experience of any content enhances when we enable Subtitles on Kodi. I haven’t faced any syncing problem yet while watching content by integrating Subscene & OpenSubtitles plugins. But it doesn’t mean that you will not face any problems like that in the future.
If you face such problems, you can sync the subtitle display speed with the audio/video speed from settings. But I think it’s too much of a hassle. You can change the subtitle plugin instead and choose another one.
Hi, I am Alyssa! I am a tech enthusiast and a blogger. I have been using Kodi and FireStick since 2016. I wanted to share my latest tech discoveries and knowledge with the World, which led me to start this blog in 2021. I post in-depth how-to guides for FireStick devices & Kodi in a way that is easy to understand for people of all ages. Thanks for stopping by!