This article outlines the steps to install and use Downloader App on FireStick. The same technique can be used on all models of FireStick, Fire TV, Fire TV Cube devices, Google Chromecast, NVIDIA Shield, Android TV Boxes, Tivo Stream 4K, Mi Box, Mi Stick, MECOOL Boxes, Raspberry Pi, Android phones, tablets and more!
📝 Note: Apple and Roku are NOT compatible with Downloader app as they run their own operating systems.
Millions of people across the world use Downloader app to sideload apps onto their preferred streaming devices. Downloader app can be installed on nearly any device.
The app was developed by AFTVnews. Downloader has a built-in web browser that can be used for browsing or downloading any file from the internet. However, the app gained popularity among the users for its ability to side-load third-party APKs that are not available on the Amazon App Store.
Another amazing thing is that Downloader automatically starts the installation process from within the app once you have downloaded an APK file through the app.
All you have to do is enter the URL pointing to the APK file that you wish to install.
Recently, Downloader has started allowing us to download APKs easily using Downloader codes, which are nothing but numeric codes that you can enter in lieu of URLs. Check out our guide for Best Downloader Codes and install your favorite apps just with codes.
Installing third-party apps or sideloading them is often termed as jailbreaking. However, the process is much simpler than it sounds. We have a detailed guide explaining FireStick Jailbreaking. Do check it out.
Downloader App has become an essential part of our FireStick device, which is why we couldn’t have missed it on our Best FireStick Apps list.
Downloader is completely legal. However, the third-party apps downloaded through the app could have copyrighted content. We recommend only streaming content in the public domain.
How to Install Downloader App on FireStick
The steps below will show you how to install the Downloader app on the Firestick and Fire TV devices. The process is similar for other Android-operated streaming devices.
Downloader app is officially available on the Amazon App Store, so installing it is extremely easy. Here are the steps:
1. On your FireStick home screen, click Find on the main menu bar in the middle
Note: If your interface hasn’t updated yet, you will find the Main Menu Bar is located at the top of the screen. You may click the Magnifying glass icon/Search Icon to search for Downloader
2. Click Search below
3. Using the FireStick on-screen keyboard, enter the word Downloader. Then, select it in the search suggestions below the keypad
4. Select Downloader app icon/tile on the following screen.
5. Click Get or Download (If you are installing Downloader for the first time, you will see Get)
6. Downloader app will now install on your device. When the installation is complete, click Open
7. Upon launching for the first time, Downloader app will seek permission to access your device and files. Click Allow
8. Next, the Quick Start Guide will appear, click OK
How to Access the Downloader App on FireStick
When you install Downloader app for the first time, it may or may not show up on the home screen. So, how can you access it? Here’s how:
1. Hold down the Home Button on FireStick Remote for 5 seconds.
2. When you see the below shortcut menu, click Apps
3. You will see the full Apps list, click on Downloader app tile and open it.
How to Sideload/ Download Third-party Apps Using Downloader App on FireStick
Now that you have Downloader app installed on your device, here’s how you can sideload apps on your FireStick or Fire TV in a couple of minutes.
Preparing Downloader App for Sideloading- Turn ON Install Unknown Apps
But before FireStick allows us to install third-party apps, we must allow install unknown apps/ Apps from Unknown Sources feature to sideload apps on FireStick.
There are two Firestick Interfaces available right now. While most of the features remain the same for the most part, the Unknown Apps features are slightly different. I will cover both of them below.
IMPORTANT! 3rd Gen Fire TV Stick, 2nd Gen Fire TV Cube and Firestick Lite users will likely see Install Unknown Apps option.
Here is how you can enable the option on those devices:
1. Go to the FireStick home screen and access the Gear Icon on the main menu bar
Note: If your interface hasn’t updated yet, the Main Menu Bar is located at the top of the screen. You may click Settings option on there.
2. On the following window, click My Fire TV
3. Next, click Developer Options
Installed the latest FireTV update on your device and now you can’t find the Developer Options? To learn how to reveal it, read Reveal or unhide Developer Options on FireStick /FireTV.
4. Click Install unknown apps
(📝Note: If you see Apps From Unknown Sources instead, please follow the steps in the next part)
5. Now, click on Downloader to turn the option ON
IMPORTANT! Fire TV Stick 4k users will likely see Apps from Unknown Sources option instead of Install Unknown Apps
Here are the steps for them:
1. Go to Gear Icon> My Fire TV> Developer Options. Then click Apps from Unknown Sources
2. Next, you will see the below warning on the screen, click Turn On to continue
How do I Download 3rd party Apps on Firestick using Downloader?
Downloader app can now install any app on FireStick and other Fire TV devices. Let’s see how it is done. For this example, I will install Cinema APK:
1. Launch the Downloader app
2. Click where it reads Enter a URL or Search Term.
3. Enter the below URL for Cinema APK:
This is Cinema APK’s official website.
NOTE: Instead of typing the URL, you can simply enter the Downloader code for Cinema HD: 28009
4. Once the Cinema APK website loads, click DOWNLOAD NOW
5. The APK will now begin to download.
6. Once downloaded, click INSTALL
7. Wait for it to install. It will only take a couple of seconds.
8. There will be two options on screen– DONE and OPEN.
Clicking DONE will allow you to delete the APK file, which is no longer needed. Click OPEN if you wish to use the app right away. I am choosing DONE as it is a good practice to clear up unnecessary files on low-spec devices like FireStick
9. Click Delete
10. Again, click Delete to confirm.
So, that is how you install any third-party app on your FireStick device.
How to Install Browser Plugin (Required Only For Android TV Devices)
If you are using an Android TV device like Dynalink, Google Chromecast, Mi Boxes, MECOOL Boxes, Tivo Stream 4K, etc, you will need to install the Bowser plugin for Downloader in order to sideload any app.
You will likely see the following screen on the Android TV devices:
So, here’s how you can install the Browser plugin for Downloader:
1. Go to Downloader app’s Home Screen, click where it says Enter a URL
2. Enter the below URL:
3. Click the INSTALL button
4. Choose DONE.
5. Click Delete
6. Now, click Delete again.
Great! Now, you can use Downloader to sideload apps on Android TV devices.
Downloader App Key Features
Besides the sideloading capabilities, Downloader can also be used to browse any site on the internet. You won’t need any mouse or virtual mouse App for that as Downloader app has been designed to work on TV as well.
Moreover, you can bookmark the websites that you regularly visit on downloader. You will find them in the Favorites tab for quick access. Here’s how you do it:
1. After opening the preferred webpage, click the Hamburger menu (3 lines icon) on the top right corner.
2. Then click, Add current page to favorites
There are other features available in this menu here that you can try too.
There are quite a few options in Settings as well, however, the default settings work perfectly fine and we don’t recommend changing them.
The Files tab will have the files that you may have downloader through the app. You can click the Menu Button on FireStick Remote and then choose Delete to get rid of them.
Downloader app is one of the most used tools to sideload third-party apps on FireStick. With the advent of Downloader codes, installing third-party apps has become even easier.
And not only just APKs, but you can also download music, videos, and other files using the app. You can also use it as a web browser. It has been my go-to app for a long time. If you have not used it yet, you must install it today.
Hi, I am Alyssa! I am a tech enthusiast and a blogger. I have been using Kodi and FireStick since 2016. I wanted to share my latest tech discoveries and knowledge with the World, which led me to start this blog in 2021. I post in-depth how-to guides for FireStick devices & Kodi in a way that is easy to understand for people of all ages. Thanks for stopping by!